Monday, March 19, 2007

St Patrick's Day & Green Wheelie Bins

It's been quite a week since I last wrote anything here. In this fair city there was the St Patrick's Day parade with drunk Irish men and floats with beads, potatoes, carrots, peanuts, bananas, onions and, of course, cabbages!! There was also on Sunday, St Joseph's Day when the Indians parade again and there are various other celebrations. I had to work on Sunday and missed the St Joseph day thang - but I was screamin' for throws on Saturday.

I decided to try the whole "I'm Scottish" thing to see if I'd get better beads etc. So I wrote a sign that said "I'm Scottish" scribbled on a piece of cardboard and hung it round my neck. It worked and didn't work. I either got those lovely "Irish" men who are part of the walking parade (guys don't bother with this one until the floats come by because its all about us ladies kissing Irish men for flowers and beads) giving me brilliant beads (and slobbery kisses on the cheek) or I got them saying 'don't the Irish hate the Scots?' (one guy on a float yelled a profanity and threw beads ate me - ouch!). Now the guy who posed the question of the Irish hating the Scots would have know the answer if he had actually been IRISH. The Scots and the Irish and the Welsh all love each other - OK motivated by their mutual desire to see England loose at rugby....

Anyway we came home with beads galore, two cabbages, carrots, onions, peanuts, slim jims!!, a banana, and lacy green knickers!! Oh I also got a "get out of jail free" card for the NOPD!!

Photos to follow.....

Then this morning there was a tremendous commotion outside and I peeked out to see a new gleaming green trash wheelie bin. Its big and shiny and will hold all our trash - our falling-to-bits other one doesn't. Small joys!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dou you still have the "get out of jail" card? If so, I'm curious as to what it says. I got one a few years back, but lost it before I got home that evening.